Site reliability engineering (SRE) is a set of principles and practices that incorporates aspects of
software engineering and applies them to infrastructure and operations problems. The main
goals are to create scalable and highly reliable software systems. Site reliability engineering is
closely related to DevOps, a set of practices that combine software development and IT
operations, and SRE has also been described as a specific implementation of DevOps.
Working within the Apadmi Managed Services team, alongside a multi-disciplined
development and support team, you will work across a variety of clients (Healthcare, Sport,
Retail, Finance) looking after mission and business critical systems.
What you’ll do
- Ensure that the systems we develop, maintain and support for our clients meets their ongoing resilience, reliability, security and performance requirements.
- Work alongside the development and support teams to troubleshoot, fix and continuously improve the systems performance and availability.
- Help design, build and deploy technology for our clients and their users that deliver the performance and experience they require.
- Work with the Managed Services team and wider Apadmi business to continually improve best practices, set standards and help educate and train the engineering team.
- Ensure monitoring and alerting is configured on all projects, continually reviewing and fine tuning as the systems evolve over time.
- Have a strong focus on automation, ensuring the alerting and recovery of failing systems. In addition, workflow optimisation, helping to build maintainable tools to support the Managed Services team.
- Report on the underlying health metrics, such as performance, load, cost and capacity, making this easy to access and understand for key stakeholders.
- Influence architecture decisions taking into account reliability considerations
What we need
- Microsoft Azure Administration
- Monitoring and tracing tools such as Prometheus
- Working with IaC tools such as Terraform
- DevOps environments and containerisation including Docker and Kubernetes.
- Working with various data storage technologies, including SQL (relational databases).
What makes an ideal candidate
- You don’t need to be in a previous SRE “Title” role. Would consider someone from a development, DevOps or other background who is looking to move into this role.
- Comfortable in a client facing position
- Agile environment, and be able to support working towards a Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery approach.
- You will have strong problem solving skills being prepared to get stuck into any problem and own that problem through to resolution. You will have a can-do attitude, and will enjoy being outside of your comfort zone as you try to solve problems, large and small.
- You will be available for on-call rotations and out of hours maintenance windows alongside the rest of the Managed Services team.
- Fully remote or hybrid working can be supported.
Why work for Apadmi
- We want to support you, so our life insurance, income protection scheme and group pension scheme are all included in our employee package.
- Not only that, we’re driven by your needs and your personal development. Together with your team leader, we’ll help you set objectives and track progress, whilst creating a personal development plan shaped around your needs and interests.
- Remote working has become the new normal for us at Apadmi, but should you wish to have a change of scenery, our custom-built Salford Quays office provides a relaxed, socially distanced, environment to work in. Here you’ll find a fully stocked kitchen, a dozen state-of-the-art collaboration spaces and free-on-site secure parking.
- To maintain our sense of community across the business during the pandemic we have held company stand-ups every Friday and frequently welcome celebrity guest stars and run remote video tours. We’ve also continued to hold regular virtual social activities such as cocktail making classes, horse racing nights, bingo and quizzes – with lots of exciting real-life events planned for this summer!
- We also encourage you to get involved and get that feel-good factor! We host weekly cross-fit sessions, group yoga and have sports teams to help you relax and make new friends within the Apadmi community.